BLUE TESTING INKS (17-07XX) & PENS (17-05XX)
EXAMINATION OF PRETREATED POLYMER PLASTICS
To make possible the printing and adherence of polymer plastics it is inherent that the surface be treated, so that the surface tension rises to a defined point.
Untreated PE and PP have a surface tension of about 30 dynes/cm. Well treated PE and PP should have a value of about 38 to 41 dynes/cm for printing.
Polymer plastics with a surface tension of less than 37 dynes/cm have binding difficulties. This is recognized in that the tape pull-off test has a negative result.
The value of treatment is tested by simply brushing the testing inks/pens onto the surface.
Values available are as follows:
- Test Pens BLUE with FORMAMIDE SOLUTION (17-05XX Series) are available from 28 to 58 dynes/cm, even and odd levels
- Normally stocked: 36 / 38 / 40 / 42 / 44 / 46 / 48 / 50 / 52
- Other chemical mixtures of pens: 60 / 62 / 64 / 66 / 68 / 70 / 72
- Liquid Ink Format (17-07XX)
- 18 / 20 / 22 / 24 / 26; Clear Ink Only
- 28 to 59, both evens and odds; Formamide mixture
- 60 to 72, evens only; Formamide mixture
- 76 / 84 / 90 / 105; Potash mixture
- PP felt tip marker
- Approximately <5 mL contents
- Shelf life of about 8months for pens; 6months for inks; 3months for inks/pens below 28 dyne/cm
- Color of test liquid is blue; Levels below 28 dyne/cm are clear